New MechWarrior Game Coming to Xbox 360
Vancouver-based developer Piranha Games knows a thing or two about giant robots. After all, they just finished work on the Xbox 360 and PS3 versions of Transformers 2: The Game, in partnership with Activision. If Transformers is that loud, brattish kid who leaves skid marks on your lawn and scares all the pets in the neighborhood, then MechWarrior is like his older brother that went to college. The long-running MechWarrior franchise has evolved a lot since its original appearance on the PC way back in 1989. But it has always been about strategic thinking, careful planning, and tactical organization, with the player in command of a group of giant, mechanical fighting machines. In other words, it's the thinking man's giant robot game.
Now, Piranha has teamed up with Jordan Weisman, co founder of FASA and lover of all things BattleTech, to make a current-generation MechWarrior experience. The team has created a preview video for the game, which you can check out below.
For those familiar with the MechWarrior universe, this new game will take place in the year 3015, near the beginning of the Fourth Succession War. Weisman and Piranha picked this setting for the game because it predates every other entry in the series and will allow new players to jump right into the experience without the weight of series canon weighing on story choices. Talking recently to IGN, explained:
"It's definitely a re-launch. I mean, twenty five years of any soap opera, especially space opera, can become pretty difficult for new players to become involved in. We wanted to take the opportunity to re-launch, or as Russ phrased it, redact the universe. Introduce it at the kind of accessible level it was when we first introduced the universe twenty five years ago. This is not unlike what we've seen most recently with Star Trek, Iron Man, Spider-Man...All franchises which, as they reach out to a new audience, need to create an accessible origin story for their beginnings. So that's where we wanted to go to, it's right at the beginning."
According to the developers, the new game is focused on small-scale, intense combat. The player will take on the role of a reluctant hero who is thrust into the cockpit of his Mech when geopolitical events go sour on his backwater planet. The game is set on the planet Dreschler, on the frontier between the Davion and Kuritan houses. Urbanized and under assault from space, the player will not be able to rely on simple radar to track enemies on the surface of Dreschler. Instead, the developers are placing an emphasis on what they are calling "information warfare," the ability to scout and track enemy forces as they move through the dense urban environment.
The title is still early along in development, but Piranha is already contemplating single-player, co-operative campaign and multiplayer modes. Surprisingly, they have not yet secured a publisher for this title, but we expect them to find one very soon.
- Max Payne 3 Official Trailer #2
- NEW QUANTUM CONUNDRUM INFO AND ASSETS FROM THE FLUFFY DIMENSION
- MAJESCO ENTERTAINMENT LAUNCHES ZUMBA FITNESS RUSH NATIONWIDE, EXCLUSIVELY ON KINECT FOR XBOX 360
- Get Ready to Lick the Competition with Girl Fight, Coming Soon to Xbox LIVE Arcade
- SUIT UP AS PHINEAS, FERB AND CREW FOR ALL-NEW ADVENTURES IN DISNEY UNIVERSE
- Kinect Nat Geo TV - Xbox 360
- Turtle Beach Number One Third Party Console Gaming Accessory Brand for 2011
- SoundCloud Partners With Capcom On Street Fighter X Tekken Remix Battle
- Double Fine Day of Overdelivery - Xbox LIVE Arcade
- Seamus Blackley's Innovative Leisure to Debut at 2012 D.I.C.E. Summit
- Top 10 Xbox 360 Games That Dominated Xbox Live In 2011
- Microsoft Patent Reveals New Xbox 720 Information
- Xbox 360 Hackers Had A Field Day With Gears Of War 3
- Dead Island Review
- New Year's Gaming Flashback, Imagining A Kinect Fantavision
- Batman : Arkham City Review
- Will Star Wars The Old Republic Release On The Xbox 360
- Xbox 360 2012 Preview, 3 Big Games Coming Next Year
- Microsoft Brings Xbox 360 Kinectimals To iPhone, iPad
- Top 5 Xbox 360 Kinect Games For Christmas 2011
- Amazon 19 Days of Deals - Day 2: Action Games Day
- Some Xbox 360 Black Friday Deals
- Kinect Hackers, Here's How To Get Yourselves $20,000
- Most Common Xbox 360 Hardware Problems and Tips
- Got Fifty Bucks - What Could That Get You in Video Game Goodies
- Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 Costume DLC Revealed
- Dead Rising 2 Off The Record Cosplay Warrior Costume and Skills Pack Now Available
- Get $100 off Xbox 360 4GB Console with Kinect at GameStop.com
- Xbox Wireless Bluetooth Headset is a Winner!
- Turtle Beach's Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 Limited Edition Headset Line Widely Available by October 25th