X-Men Arcade on Xbox Live Brings Back Memories
When we were all of 12 years old, one of our favorite activities on a Saturday afternoon was to head down to the local arcade at the mall and line up to pump quarters into the X-Men arcade cabinet. The game might look dated by today's standards (screenshot below), but back in the early 1990s, this was truly an evolutionary step forward. The vibrant cartoon graphics and the flawless control scheme combined to make arcade beat-em-up bliss. Now Konami has announced that it plans to release an enhanced version of the classic X-Men Arcade game for the PSN later this year. Bring it on!
Developed by Backbone Entertainment, X-Men Arcade is the first ever home version of the popular 1992 cabinet arcade classic, and allows players to join their favorite X-Men characters in what is widely considered as their first great video game appearance.
In X-Men Arcade, Cyclops, Colossus, Dazzler, Nightcrawler, Storm and Wolverine unite to use their special powers to save mankind from the Brotherhood of Evil Mutants and other terrible threats. Players are charged with fighting off hundreds of Sentinels - along with Super Villains such as Pyro, the Blob, Wendigo, Nimrod, the White Queen, Juggernaut and Mystique - as they battle their way to Island M to take down the Master of Magnetism, Magneto, and save Kitty Pryde and Professor Xavier. It was a real quarter gobbler back in the day, but now we'll be able to enjoy the whole thing without plowing through our weekly allowance.
We'll also be able to bring our friends along for a trip down memory lane. Players can engage in multiplayer action with 1-4 players supported locally and 1-6 players supported online. Online drop-in multiplayer is also implemented, allowing anyone to jump in on the battle at any time. High-definition heads-up displays, menus and local/online leaderboards have also been integrated to track statistics and scores.
Similarly, a Custom Match Mode will allow users to choose the kind of session they would like to join by setting the amount of players, difficulty and starting level to create a truly unique online experience. Players will also have the ability to select the Create Match Mode where they can act as the host and control incoming players, the number of players, difficulty setting, and starting level to have complete power of veto over the match. For players looking for the ultimate X-Men challenge, multiple difficulty modes will also be available.
"Just like with our comics, Marvel has a rich history of great video games, and we're happy to play our part with Konami in reintroducing this classic to fans of all ages," said Seth Lehman, Vice President, Business and Legal Affairs for Marvel. "Fans have been clamoring for X-Men Arcade to hit consoles for 18 years now, and we're confident they'll definitely find this re-release was worth the wait. The game looks and plays exactly like we remember it - all without the added worries of being low on quarters when you're closing in on Magneto."
Hell to the yes.
- Max Payne 3 Official Trailer #2
- NEW QUANTUM CONUNDRUM INFO AND ASSETS FROM THE FLUFFY DIMENSION
- MAJESCO ENTERTAINMENT LAUNCHES ZUMBA FITNESS RUSH NATIONWIDE, EXCLUSIVELY ON KINECT FOR XBOX 360
- Get Ready to Lick the Competition with Girl Fight, Coming Soon to Xbox LIVE Arcade
- SUIT UP AS PHINEAS, FERB AND CREW FOR ALL-NEW ADVENTURES IN DISNEY UNIVERSE
- Kinect Nat Geo TV - Xbox 360
- Turtle Beach Number One Third Party Console Gaming Accessory Brand for 2011
- SoundCloud Partners With Capcom On Street Fighter X Tekken Remix Battle
- Double Fine Day of Overdelivery - Xbox LIVE Arcade
- Seamus Blackley's Innovative Leisure to Debut at 2012 D.I.C.E. Summit
- Top 10 Xbox 360 Games That Dominated Xbox Live In 2011
- Microsoft Patent Reveals New Xbox 720 Information
- Xbox 360 Hackers Had A Field Day With Gears Of War 3
- Dead Island Review
- New Year's Gaming Flashback, Imagining A Kinect Fantavision
- Batman : Arkham City Review
- Will Star Wars The Old Republic Release On The Xbox 360
- Xbox 360 2012 Preview, 3 Big Games Coming Next Year
- Microsoft Brings Xbox 360 Kinectimals To iPhone, iPad
- Top 5 Xbox 360 Kinect Games For Christmas 2011
- Amazon 19 Days of Deals - Day 2: Action Games Day
- Some Xbox 360 Black Friday Deals
- Kinect Hackers, Here's How To Get Yourselves $20,000
- Most Common Xbox 360 Hardware Problems and Tips
- Got Fifty Bucks - What Could That Get You in Video Game Goodies
- Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 Costume DLC Revealed
- Dead Rising 2 Off The Record Cosplay Warrior Costume and Skills Pack Now Available
- Get $100 off Xbox 360 4GB Console with Kinect at GameStop.com
- Xbox Wireless Bluetooth Headset is a Winner!
- Turtle Beach's Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 Limited Edition Headset Line Widely Available by October 25th